For anyone who is interested, I finally have the comments feed working properly again. Sorry about that. I wish I could integrate comments in with the main feed, considering that there are so few of them in general, but there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to do this in WordPress without some considerable code hacking.
If my review hasn’t turned you off completely, or if you’d just like a free DVD, here’s your chance. The first person to post in the comments the name of the state where James T. Kirk will be born in 226 years from this Thursday will get my review copy of the DVD. It’s just like the regular one, except the bar code has a hole punched through it.
Yesterday I returned from spending the day with family to discover that I had been slammed with almost 350 comment spams from the same porn site.
Yesterday I returned from spending the day with family to discover that I had been slammed with almost 350 comment spams from the same porn site. Thankfully it was a quick fix. One entry into MT-Blacklist and I could delete the comments and rebuild the entries in just a few clicks. However, it was still frustrating to have to do this in the first place.
Last week, I discovered another MovableType plugin called CloseComments. You can set this to run everytime you re-build your main index, and it will close comments of older, inactive posts, depending on the variables you choose. I have mine set to close comments on posts older than 15 days and have been inactive for at least one day. I couldn’t get this to work at first, and last night gave me the motivation to figure it out.
The reason why it wasn’t working was that the database behind this blog was in the Berkeley DB format, and not the required SQL format. I didn’t know that there was an easy way to convert them until I did a few Google searches. I did the conversion process last night and in a few days, CloseComments should be doing its thing. Combine this with MT-Blacklist, and you’ll end up with very little comment spam.
Update 7/6/04: Make sure to check MT-Blacklist after the conversion process. I discovered this morning that my blacklist settings had been reset.
Ugh. My blog comments were spammed while I was out of town this past week. The only way I’ve found to really prevent this from happening is to block all comments, which I do not want to do. Any other suggestions besides IP banning (which I’ve already done) will be very welcome.